Code of Practice for Accurate Bills
The Code of Practice for Accurate Bills sets out what domestic customers can expect from their energy company. This includes:
- Clear, accurate, useful and timely bills and statements
- Support and advice on checking energy use
- Support and advice for those having difficulty paying their bills
- Energy suppliers' commitment to the back billing rules
- Contact details for raising questions and issues with companies
It's important to remember that the accuracy of bills is also dependent on the customer providing regular readings from their electricity and gas meters. Please note: the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills applies to domestic energy customers only.
In certain circumstances where the energy supplier is at fault, suppliers will not back bill for energy used but not billed. You can find out more in the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills and in our guide to back billing, Back Billing for Domestic Customers below.
Since July 2010, energy companies have been sending customers an Annual Statement explaining their energy usage and cost. You can find out more about the Annual Statement.
- Code of Practice for Accurate Bills (PDF 500KB)
- Back Billing for Domestic Customers (PDF 700KB)
- Back billing: a guide for domestic energy consumers (PDF 880KB)
- Billing Code Scenarios (PDF 200KB)