Energy in the UK
Energy in the UK 2017 details the industry’s contribution to the UK economy, illustrates its contribution so far in moving the country towards a low carbon future and outlines the challenges ahead in transforming heating, transport and moving to a smart energy system. It also highlights the growing competition in the retail market and the help given to vulnerable customers.
- The energy sector created £24bn in economic value during 2016
- The industry delivered £11bn of investment during 2016 – which represents almost £1 in every £16 invested in the UK.
- In 2016, the energy sector supported 730,000 jobs across the UK.
- 53% of power generation now comes from low carbon sources.
- There are 54 active domestic energy suppliers.