The Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Act defines a micro business as one which:
- uses less than 293,000 kWh of gas or 100,000 kWh of electricity a year, or
- has fewer than ten employees (or their full-time equivalent) and an annual turnover total not exceeding 2 million euros.
Energy UK and the Industrial & Commercial Shippers and Suppliers Association, who between them represent most of the companies supplying energy to small businesses, have produced two guides to help micro business customers. The first sets out how micro businesses can avoid back-billing, and the second explains how the contract renewal process works. You can view these by clicking on the links on the left.
- Business Debtline - advice for small businesses
0800 197 6026 or www.bdl.org.uk
- Citizens Advice consumer service
08454 04 05 06 or www.adviceguide.org.uk
- The Ombudsman Services: Energy
0330 440 1624 or 01925 530263