More customers switch and prepare for winter
Electricity shoppers are planning for winter and more are switching to get a good deal. In September, nearly 260,000 households switched with nearly half of the total moving electricity provider choosing a small supplier.
Angela Knight, chief executive of Energy UK said:
“It is fantastic to see the public getting ready for winter by picking the best deal for them. There has never been more choice so if you haven’t compared your current tariff with what’s out there, log on to a price comparison site or pick up the phone to your supplier, you could save money.
“Smaller electricity providers are gaining a larger chunk of the market month on month on month. This is because the market is becoming more and more competitive as time goes on. More suppliers are joining the sector, more customers are shopping around and all suppliers are fighting hard for new business.”
Notes for editors
- September saw 259,855 households changed electricity supplier.
- There were 128,183 net switches to small suppliers.
- 49.33 per cent of all switches were moves to small suppliers.
- For more information on the switching process see our guide to switching providers.
- Electralink provide a secure service to transfer data between the electricity market participants. The company operate the Data Transfer Network (DTN) which underpins customer switching, meter interoperability and other business processes critical to a competitive electricity market.
- For more information on competition in the domestic market read the Cornwall Energy report.
- More information on this months switching see the September switching report.