The voice of the energy industry

Energy UK announces new Chairman and interim Chief Executive

Sir David Arculus is to be the next chairman of Energy UK, the trade association representing the UK's energy sector. Sir David will succeed Lord Spicer when he retires at the Energy UK AGM on 9 December 2014. The Board of the association also confirmed that current Chief Operating Officer Lawrence Slade will take over day to day operational running of the trade body as interim chief executive succeeding Angela Knight who is leaving at the end of December. Both posts will be effective from 1 January 2015.

Lord Spicer said:

"I am delighted to announce that Sir David Arculus has agreed to serve as Chairman of Energy UK. It is right that a businessman with such an impressive track record in business and government should lead an organisation representing this vital sector of our nation's life. I know that Sir David will get all the support he could wish for from the members and staff of Energy UK."

David Arculus said:

“It is a great pleasure to be asked to be the Chairman of Energy UK. This is a time of major change for the industry and for the country as old power stations are closed and cleaner greener electricity generators are built. This vital industry deserves a clear, strong voice. I look forward to getting to grips with the key three-fold challenge of balancing energy security with the low carbon agenda and with bills which people and industry can afford."

Angela Knight said:

"Lawrence Slade has been the Chief Operating Officer of Energy UK and my deputy since I arrived in September 2012. Lawrence has great knowledge of the whole energy sector and wide-reaching contacts which will help him deliver the next phase of the organisation’s life. The staff of Energy UK know and respect him and he is very well placed to lead the team forward. There are big issues to tackle and Lawrence is the right man for the job."

Lawrence Slade said:

"I am delighted to be able to take up the reins at Energy UK and see the organisation through into a new phase. I aim to ensure the value and importance of the sector is fully realised at the highest level. Energy is a key component of the British economy on which hundreds of thousands of jobs depend. It contributes millions every year to the national economy and in major infrastructure projects.”

Biographical notes

Sir David Arculus

David Arculus is a businessman and former advisor to government. He started his career as a BBC producer before moving to Emap which, as Group Managing Director, he built into a major media group. He then led the management buy out and subsequent sale of IPC Media. He served as Chairman of Severn Trent and later of O2. Following the 2006 merger of O2 and Telefonica he sat on the Board of Telefonica. David has also served as a Director of Barclays and Pearson and of a variety of private equity backed companies.

Outside of business he worked for four years as Chairman of the Better Regulation Task Force, reporting to the then Prime Minister, Tony Blair. He has also served on the Board of the National Consumer Council, and as Chairman of the Royal Institution and the British Library Advisory Board.

David Arculus was born in 1946 and was educated at Bromsgrove School, Oriel College, Oxford and London Business School. He holds degrees in Engineering and Economics, and is married with three children.

Lawrence Slade

Lawrence Slade is currently Chief Operating Officer at Energy UK responsible for all energy supply activities. Before Energy UK was created, Lawrence ran the Energy Retail Association.

Previously Lawrence worked in the upstream oil and gas sector as Global Business Development Director of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and greatly expanded the organisation’s operations in the emerging markets of Russia, the Caspian and Africa.

Lawrence has also served as Deputy Chief Executive and Technical Director of the Energy Institute in London. Lawrence was born in 1970 and lives in Cambridge.

Notes for editors

• The post of chairman is expected to be for a 3 year period. It is a remunerated post
  • The appointment will be ratified at the Energy UK AGM on 9 December 2014 and will run from 1 January 2015
  • Appointments are made by the Board of Energy UK

Energy UK Small