The voice of the energy industry

Energy UK announces Lord Hutton as new chair

Energy UK today announced the appointment of Lord John Hutton as the next Chair of Energy UK, the trade association representing the UK's energy sector. 

Lord Hutton will succeed Sir David Arculus, who steps down at the Energy UK Annual General Meeting on 7 December 2017. 

Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK, said: 

“Lord Hutton brings a wealth of experience to this role as we navigate this hugely exciting time within the sector.  I’d like to thank Sir David for the work he has done to ensure Energy UK is in the strong position it is today, with now 100 members spanning suppliers and generators big and small, enabling us to embrace the challenges and opportunities ahead as we move to a digital, decarbonised smart energy future.”

Sir David Arculus said:

“It’s been a privilege to spend four years helping to represent the interests of this most central of British industries. At Energy UK we've been seeking to ensure that consumers are at the heart of a well-functioning retail market, that Britain delivers an industrial strategy based on a low carbon economy, and that we get the best deal for all energy customers from the Brexit negotiations.

“It is a journey and there is plenty of work ahead but I have no doubt that the Energy UK team under the leadership of John Hutton and Lawrence Slade will continue to be resolute in pursuing these goals.”

Lord John Hutton said:

"I am delighted to be joining Energy UK. The industry faces some great opportunities as well as challenges and I am looking forward to working with all of our member companies in ensuring that the UK energy market remains competitive and dynamic.”

Notes to editors:

1. Appointments are made by the Board of Energy UK.  

2. The appointment will be ratified at the Energy UK AGM on 7 December 2017 and will run from 1 January 2018.

Biographical notes:
Lord (John) Hutton is a former Cabinet Minister and was Member of Parliament for Barrow and Furness in Cumbria from 1992 to 2010. 

During his Parliamentary career, he held a number of Secretary of State appointments including the Department for Work and Pensions (2005-7), Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR, including energy, 2007-8) and, latterly, Ministry of Defence (2008-9). 

Following his decision to step down at the 2010 General Election, John has established a portfolio career comprised of commercial non-executive, advisory, charitable and writing commitments. 
Energy UK Small