Energy in the UK
Energy in the UK 2019 details the industry’s contribution to the UK economy, illustrates its contribution so far in moving the country towards a low carbon future and outlines the challenges ahead in transforming heating, transport and moving to a smart energy system. It also highlights the growing competition in the retail market and the help given to vulnerable customers.
- The energy sector created £86.6bn in economic activity during 2018
- The industry delivered £13.1bn of investment during the same period
- In 2018, the energy sector supported 620,000 jobs across the UK - equivalent to 1 in 46 jobs in the UK
- Since 1990 the power sector has lowered CO2 emissions by 68%
- Over 14 millions smart meters have been installed so far according to BEIS Smart Meters statistics (Q1)
- Over 19,000 UK charge points for electric vehicles