Energy in the UK
Energy in the UK 2018 details the industry’s contribution to the UK economy, illustrates its contribution so far in moving the country towards a low carbon future and outlines the challenges ahead in transforming heating, transport and moving to a smart energy system. It also highlights the growing competition in the retail market and the help given to vulnerable customers.
- The energy sector created £83.7bn in economic activity during 2017
- The industry delivered £12.6bn of investment during 2017
- In 2017, the energy sector supported 682,000 jobs across the UK - equivalent to 1 in 51 jobs in the UK
- 53% of power generation now comes from low carbon sources.
- The smart energy system will provide benefits up to £40bn to the UK economy
- Over 16,000 UK charge points for electric vehicles