The energy sector is a big contributor to the UK economy and invest in low carbon technologies to optimise the system.
Investment in the energy sector is a necessity to continue the progression towards a low carbon economy. Investment into more efficient and low carbon generation will not only improve the UK’s energy security, but provide health benefits with cleaner air and a more diverse generation mix. The National Infrastructure and Construction (NIC) pipeline illustrates planned investment throughout both the private and public sectors. In 2017 our Energy in the UK report shows an increase in the number of projects within the energy sector up to 108 projects from 96 in 2016.
Some key findings include:
- The energy sector created £83.7bn in economic activity during 2017
- The industry delivered £12.6bn of investment during 2017
- In 2017, the energy sector supported 682,000 jobs across the UK - equivalent to 1 in 51 jobs in the UK
- 53% of power generation now comes from low carbon sources.
- The smart energy system will provide benefits up to £40bn to the UK economy
- Over 16,000 UK charge points for electric vehicles