The voice of the energy industry

Customer support

You’ll have seen a lot about energy in the news recently, but help is available if you need it. Representing the whole energy industry, Energy UK is providing you with information and advice on what to do if you’re worried about your energy bills.

Support available

There is a host of support in Great Britain aimed at helping you if you are worried about paying your energy bills, and/or if you find yourself in a vulnerable situation, whether that be from financial difficulties, mental or physical health issues, or other events.

If you’re worried about your energy bills, first and foremost, you should contact your energy supplier as soon as you can to discuss this. Suppliers are best placed to provide direct support and/or signpost their customers to appropriate support (e.g. debt advice).

Energy Bills Rebate Scheme  

To spread the cost of the current energy price shock all electricity customers will see their bill reduced by £200, which will automatically be paid back by customers over the next 5 years from April 2023. The rebate will be applied to all household bills from October 2022.

Council Tax Rebate

In England households in Council Tax Bands A to D will receive a £150 non-repayable Council Tax rebate in April 2022.

All Scottish households in bands A to D will receive a £150 payment towards their council tax bill, as will those in other bands who already qualify for reduced rates (in all council tax bands in Scotland). The money will be given as credit towards people’s council tax bill in April 2022.  

Similar arrangements will be made by the authorities in Wales and Northern Ireland. You can also contact your local council for extra support.  

To find out whether people are eligible for the council tax rebate, they first need to know what council tax band they are in.

The Household Support Fund

This fund will help households with the cost of essentials such as food, clothing and utilities and, in England, will continue to be distributed to local councils. People should contact their local authority to request access to the fund.

Warm Home Discount (WHD)

If you’re on state benefits, receive guarantee credit or have disability allowance you might be eligible for the Warm Home Discount; a one-off payment of £150 towards your energy bills. The money comes directly off your bill, rather than being paid into your bank account.  

You can find more details of the support available to energy consumers.

Energy UK has worked with National Energy Action to produce a home energy checklist that provides advice on the help available to manage your energy bills and keep your home warm and safe this winter.

Get independent advice  

You can also get help and advice from Citizens Advice. Call 0808 223 1133 or use their online webchat. For textphone, dial 18001 followed by the helpline number. Someone at their Extra Help Unit could take on your case if you are in a vulnerable situation.

If you are in Scotland, contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 800 9060, use their online webchat or contact them by e-mail.

For disability-specific advice, you can contact the disability charity Scope on their free helpline at 0808 800 3333 (open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm. Saturday to Sunday 10am to 6pm).

Pensioners can also contact the charity Age UK for support on their free advice line 0808 800 3333 (open 8am-7pm 365 days a year).

If you are struggling with debt, you can also reach out to National Debtline for free debt advice over the phone on 0808 808 4000 or online using Webchat (Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday 9:30 am to 1pm. This is the fastest way to speak to a specialist adviser). Alternatively, StepChange have an online debt advice tool available at any time on their website, or you can call their free helpline on 0800 138 1111 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 4pm).

Energy UK Small