The voice of the energy industry

In an emergency

Make sure you know what to do if your alarm goes off or how to spot signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If your alarm goes off or you spot other signs of Carbon Monoxide:

Step 1: Open doors or windows for ventilation and leave the room to get some fresh air.
Step 2: Seek medical advice from your Doctor if you are feeling unwell, or call 999 if it's an emergency.
Step 3: Turn off all appliances and get them checked by a registered engineer - do not use them until you're told it is safe to do so.
Step 4: Call the relevant emergency advice line:
  • Gas Emergency Service (24 hours) 0800 111 999
  • Oil (OFTEC) 0845 658 5080
Step 5: If gas appliances are in the property, do NOT smoke, do NOT turn light switches on or off and do NOT do anything to create a spark.

If you feel unwell

If you feel unwell, others or pets are suffering from headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and unconcious seek medical attention immediately.

If someone is seriously ill from carbon monoxide poisoning it is vital that they are removed immediately from the contaminated area, placed into the open air and given pure oxygen, if available. Victims should be kept at rest, avoiding exertion. You need to call for medical help urgently.

If you receive medical attention, be sure to state that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning to make sure you receive appropriate treatment, such as a breath or blood test.

If fire breaks out or victims need to be rescued from a property call 999 for the fire brigade.

Energy UK Small