New research, from the CO Be Alarmed! campaign, has revealed that despite being a nation of animal lovers, almost a third of us could be putting our pets at risk from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
As we mark National Pet Month, new analysis shows that UK pet owners spend on average almost £2,000 a year to keep their pets happy and healthy, yet almost a third (29%) either don’t have a carbon monoxide alarm or don’t know if they have one, which can cost as little as £15.
As temperatures drop and people turn up their heating, new research from Energy UK’s ‘CO Be Alarmed!’ campaign reveals that one in three Britons – over 17 million people – are at risk from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning as they don’t have a CO alarm in their home – despite nine in ten (94%) saying they are aware of the risk.
The research also reveals that the people of Liverpool are most at risk, with almost half (47%) saying they did not have a life-saving CO alarm. Norwich, Manchester and Leeds are also among the top ten cities most at risk with over 40% saying they don’t have a CO alarm.
As temperatures drop, and heating thermostats rise, there are some simple steps you can take to make sure you and your family stay safe from carbon monoxide this winter:
- Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it
- But it can be deadly so make sure you know the symptoms – including headaches, nausea and dizziness – similar to a common cold or the flu
- Take some simple steps around your home to keep you and your family #COsafe
- Buy and install an inexpensive carbon monoxide alarm
- You can get them from DIY stores, high street shops and online – just make sure you check for the safety marks
- Like a fire alarm, check it regularly and make sure the batteries are working
- Just like your car, it’s important to have your gas appliances, like your boiler and cooker, serviced regularly
- If you’re renting your landlord must ensure this done for you every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer
- And finally make sure you have good ventilation from fires and stoves and if you have a chimney make sure it is swept once a year