The voice of the energy industry

Feed in tariffs

A feed in tariff is money you get for generating green energy at home. You may be entitled to a feed in tariff if you have installed things like solar panels or ground source heat pumps.

Where do I buy the kit to generate electricity?

There are a number of firms which install generation equipment. Your electricity supplier may be able to help or you could try other companies – you’ll find an accredited list of suppliers at the Microgeneration Certification Scheme website.

How do I get paid?

You get paid for every unit of electricity you generate even if you don’t use it all. Anything you don’t need goes into your local electricity distribution network.

Your panels or pumps usually come fitted with an separate electricity meter to tell you how much energy you have generated. This lets you claim the money you are due. It does not replace the meter that measures how much electricity you have used.

Will I still have energy bills?

Solar panels and ground source heat pumps will meet some of your energy needs but probably not all. You are unlikely to be self-sufficient but you will be using much less energy. How much less will depend on your property, the energy your use and the equipment you put in.

What do I do if things go wrong with my electricity meter?

Sometimes existing meters behave oddly when new generating equipment is first installed. If this happens contact your electricity supplier and they will come to fix the meter.

If you think your new generating equipment is not working properly – or if your income and savings aren’t what you were promised – you need to talk to the company which installed the kit.

Installing new generation equipment can make big changes to your bills. If you are unsure about your regular energy bills contact your retailer and they will be able to help.

Energy UK Small