Energy UK publishes ‘Consumer Experiences of the Energy Market – Wave 2’
Bill payers are finding energy suppliers both easier to deal with and more trustworthy, new research undertaken by Ipsos MORI reveals. The research shows that 74 per cent of bill payers who have switched or tried to switch their supplier in the last 12 months, found the process of switching easy, and that 79 per cent of bill payers find it easy to make a bill payment. In terms of their experience overall, the proportion of bill payers who find it easy to deal with their supplier has increased by four percentage points to 63 per cent.
The proportion of bill payers who trust their supplier to provide them with a service that meets their needs has also increased by four percentage points to 59 per cent. 59 per cent of customers trust their supplier to provide an accurate bill. The proportion of bill payers who trust their supplier to deal with complaints fairly has also increased significantly from 44 per cent to 54 per cent.
Note for editors
- The research was commissioned by Energy UK and conducted by Ipsos MORI.
- The survey was conducted between 29 August and 11 September 2014.
- This represents the second wave of results, the first survey being carried out between 21 February and 10 March 2014. Findings are based on bill payers who are either solely or jointly responsible for household energy bills, and who have a mains gas or electricity supply to their home. Results are based on a total sample size of 1,420 bill payers or, for questions about switching energy supplier, on 487 bill payers that have switched energy supplier in the last 12 months.
- For the questions that asked about experiences of suppliers, respondents answered the questions in terms of their electricity supplier (if they were connected to mains electricity and could name their electricity supplier). If respondents could not name their electricity supplier, but could name their gas supplier, they were asked about their gas supplier.
- Both waves of results were conducted in respondent’s homes using Capibus, Ipsos MORI’s face-to-face weekly omnibus survey of adults aged 15+.
- The results have been weighted to the known population profile of Great Britain.
- The Ipsos MORI report can be read in full on the Energy UK website.