Summer switching in 2016 beats 2015
In recent times more and more customers shop around during the summer season. Over one million people switched electricity supplier between June and August, which is a 27 percent increase compared to the same period last year.
August alone, saw over 340,000 (342,459) people switch, a 20 percent rise in August 2015. Last month’s electricity switching data shows the net gains by smaller suppliers increased once more to 78,239 which is 23 percent of all electricity switches for August.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK said:
“There are some great offers out there for people to take advantage of, with over 40 suppliers vying for customers’ attention. Summer months are usually when we see a dip in switching activity, but it’s fantastic to see our messaging is getting through to people. Switching is really that easy and everyone needs to get on board.
“Industry has also launched the Energy Switch Guarantee this summer - covering around 70 percent of the market - including its latest signatory Bulb Energy. Customers should now feel more confident to switch in a simple, reliable and hassle-free way.”
Notes to editors
- Further information about the Guarantee can be found by visiting www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- Around 70 percent of the market are signatories of the Guarantee. This includes: British Gas, Bulb Energy E.ON, EDF Energy, First Utility, Flow Energy, npower, Octopus Energy, Sainsbury’s Energy and So Energy.
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The switching data is supplied by Electralink who provides a secure service to transfer data between the electricity market participants. The company operates the Data Transfer Network (DTN) which underpins customer switching, meter interoperability and other business processes critical to a competitive electricity market.
- The switching data referenced in these reports is since our collection of data, comparing our overall data back to 2012 only.