Four million take up the power to switch in 2016
There has been over four million customers switching electricity supplier in 2016, eclipsing the past three years of switching data produced by Energy UK.
November saw switching stay above 400,000 with more consumers looking to take advantage of the variety of deals available. This similarly is the highest figure seen since November 2013.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK said:
“A record number of people have switched electricity supplier in 2016. This is fantastic progress, but more needs to be done.
“Over forty companies across the industry, big and small, are working hard to win customers. With the Energy Switch Guarantee now in place, customers can be more confident to switch supplier. I’d encourage everyone to look at the best deal for them, whether that is one that offers a lower price or better customer service, there are choices for everyone.
“Let’s make 2017 even better and make sure every family is benefitting from the best possible deal.”
Notes to editors:
- Further information about the Guarantee can be found by visiting www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- Around 70 per cent of the market are signatories of the Guarantee. This includes: British Gas, Bulb Energy, E.ON, EDF Energy, First Utility, Flow Energy, npower, Octopus Energy, Sainsbury’s Energy and So Energy, Tonik Energy.
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The switching data is supplied by Electralink who provides a secure service to transfer data between the electricity market participants. The company operates the Data Transfer Network (DTN) which underpins customer switching, meter interoperability and other business processes critical to a competitive electricity market.
- The switching data referenced in these reports is since our collection of data, comparing our data back to 2012 only.