Record number of customers switch in April
Energy UK’s latest electricity switching figures, published today, reveal that over 660,000 (668,371) customers moved to a new supplier last month, up by 34% on April 2018 and the highest number ever recorded.
This brings the total number of electricity switches to over two million (2,119,516) so far in 2019, up 18% on this point last year.
Confidence in switching is also high with research for the Energy Switch Guarantee (ESG) finding 8 in 10 consumers happy with the switching process. The Guarantee, a voluntary industry initiative covering around 90% of the retail market, is a set of commitments to ensure switching is simple, speedy and safe for consumers.
Lawrence Slade, Energy UK’s chief executive, said:
“It is very positive to see that record numbers of customers continue to move to a new supplier in search of a better deal, and we must remember Ofgem’s figures also show many more each month move to a better deal with their current supplier.
“So, I would encourage everyone to get in touch with their supplier, or have a look online, to see if there is a better deal for them, whether that is on price or the type of tariff you are looking for.
“And, at a time when we are facing a climate challenge on a global scale, it is important for all of us to look at our energy use and ensure our homes are energy efficient. This is the best way to keep your energy bill down while also reducing your carbon footprint so you can help save money and the planet.”
Notes to editors:
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The switching data is now supplied by Gemserv (starting from September 2018). Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market. Historical data up to August 2018 was provided by Electralink.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic & non-domestic customers but do not include customers transferred to another supplier as a result of the Supplier of Last Resort process (SOLR).
- Almost 90 per cent of suppliers (by market share) are signatories of the Guarantee. For more information about the Guarantee: www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.