Nearly half a million switch in August
The latest switching figures from Energy UK, published today, show that nearly half a million (471,441) customers switched supplier last month.
This is 17% fewer than in August 2019 and brings the total number of switches to nearly four million (3,918,675) so far in 2020 – 5% lower than this time last year.
Emma Pinchbeck, Energy UK’s chief executive, said:
“Understandably figures have fluctuated more than usual this year but it’s encouraging to see that around half a million customers are still switching every month.
“As we head into the colder months of the year when we use more energy, it’s certainly worth customers speaking to their supplier to make sure they’re on the right tariff or shopping around to see what’s on offer in a very competitive market.
“Customers looking to save money should also see if they can take advantage of the Government’s Green Homes Grants scheme - as energy efficiency measures remain the best way to reduce bills in the long term while also making homes more comfortable and helping the environment.”
Notes to editors:
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- Check if you qualify for the Green Homes Grant and see what improvements can be made to your home on the Government’s website.
- Larger suppliers in the market consist of British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON (including npower), OVO (including domestic business of SSE) and Scottish Power, reflecting recent mergers. Any switches between the merged parties are considered as internal and are not counted in our switching statistics which only capture external switches. The non-domestic business of SSE is considered a small and mid-tier supplier.
- The switching data is now supplied by Gemserv (starting from September 2018). Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market. Historical data up to August 2018 was provided by Electralink.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic (Profile Classes 1 and 2) & non-domestic customers (Profile Classes 3-8 and 0) but do not include customers transferred to another supplier as a result of the Supplier of Last Resort process (SOLR).
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.