Energy UK’s monthly electricity switching figures, published today, show that over 417,000 customers switched supplier last month.
This is slightly down (2%) compared with May 2020 (425,000) and the five-year average of 447,000 switches for the month.
However, in total nearly 2.6 million customers have moved to a new supplier so far in 2021, 2% up when compared to the same time last year.
Emma Pinchbeck, Energy UK’s chief executive, said:
“Over 2.6 million customers have already switched supplier so far in 2021 and taken advantage of the range of deals and services on offer.
“It is important to check you’re on the best deal for you by getting in touch with your current supplier or by shopping around. Switching supplier takes only a few minutes but could potentially save you hundreds of pounds on your energy bills.
“For extra reassurance that your switch will be simple, speedy and safe, make sure you switch to a supplier signed up to the Energy Switch Guarantee.”
Notes to editors:
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- From December 2020, larger suppliers in the market are British Gas, Bulb, EDF Energy, E.ON (including npower), Octopus Energy, OVO (including domestic business of SSE) and Scottish Power. This is based on Ofgem’s revised definition of classifying all suppliers with a market share of 5% or above in either fuel as larger.
- Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic (Profile Classes 1 and 2) and non-domestic customers (Profile Classes 3-8 and 0) but do not include customers transferred to another supplier as a result of the Supplier of Last Resort process (SOLR). Also, any switches between merged parties are considered as internal and are not counted in our switching statistics.
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.
- The Energy Switch Guarantee (ESG) is a set of 10 commitments – launched by Energy UK in 2016 – that makes switching simple, speedy and safe. The Guarantee covers nearly 80% of the retail energy market. Find out more on the ESG website.