Energy in the UK
Energy in the UK 2021 illustrates the sector’s massive contribution to both the UK economy and reducing emissions – and the next steps needed as part of the energy transition. While looking primarily at 2020, the publication also covers some of this year’s events, such as the sector’s voluntary efforts to protect vulnerable customers over the upcoming winter.
Findings include that in 2020:
- 68% emission reduction in the power sector since 2010
- Over 700,000 jobs supported across the UK
- 59% of power generated from low carbon sources
- £12bn invested by the UK energy sector
- £27bn contributed to the UK economy in gross value added and £97bn generated in intermediary consumption through the supply chain
- £900m spent by the sector in 2020 to support vulnerable customers through social schemes, and millions extra in payment holidays in response to the pandemic
Read the full Energy in the UK report
Read the previous Energy in the UK report here.